Dr. Julia Gurol
Julia Gurol is a postdoctoral researcher and lecturer at the Chair for International Relations at Freiburg University. Her dissertation dealt with European-Chinese security relations in the Middle East. Julia’s areas of expertise are transregional authoritarian practices, infrastructure studies, strategic questions of foreign and security policy, political transformation as well as peace and conflict studies; her regional foci are China and the Middle East (with a particular focus on the Gulf region). She has previously worked in a project on arms export control at the Bonn International Center for Conversion (BICC). Furthermore, she is a trained crossmedial journalist and has published in several German media, such as WirtschaftsWoche, Handelsblatt and WDR.
Julia holds a PhD from the University of Freiburg, an MA in Political Science from the University of Bonn and a BA degree in Politics, Sociology and Media Studies from the University of Düsseldorf.
Focus & topics: EU-China relations, chinese foreign and security policy, European Middle East policy, China’s role in the Middle East, global power shifts, transformation of irregular armed actors, social movements.
- & Schmidt, M.; Zumbrägel, T. (March 2021): Reconfigurations in West Asia and North Africa. CARPO Research Forum 2020 – Conference Report, CARPO Study 10. Online available.
- & Jacopo Scita (2020): China’s Balancing Act in the Gulf Relies on Ties to Iran and Arab States, The Arab Gulf States Institute Washington. Online available.
- & Jacopo Scita (2020): ‘China’s Persian Gulf Strategy: Keep Teheran and Riyadh Content’, in: MENASource, Atlantic Council. Online available.
- (2020): ‘Competitive, cooperative or complementary? The roles of the EU and China in the security architecture of the Middle East’, in: Chinese Journal of Middle Eastern and Islamic Studies, Vol. 14, No. 1.
- & Parisa Shahmohammadi (2019): Turning Interdependence into Complementary Action: EU-China Relations and the Quest to Save the Nuclear Agreement, CARPO Report 07. Online verfügbar.