CARPO brings together a network of researchers with distinguished expertise on countries of the Orient. We are well connected with researchers and research institutions in the region and familiar with pertinent fields of study. Through continuous presence in international workshops and conferences, our researchers follow and shape the global academic discourse on the region in various disciplines.
CARPO offers to establish channels for academic exchange and knowledge transfer between researchers from the region and Europe by organizing conferences and workshops as well as initiatives and working sessions for joint publications.
Our researchers offer studies on the following fields:
- international relations and regional politics
- migration and refugees
- diaspora and diaspora politics
- intercultural dynamics
- public diplomacy
- political transformation
- civil-military relations and security studies
- rule of law
- transitional justice
- state-society relations
- political economy
- civil society and societal politics
- historical backgrounds and collective memory
- identifications and mobilization: religion, ethnicity, and gender
CARPO’s country experts are specialized on policy-relevant dimensions of social, economic and political dynamics in specific country contexts. Thanks to their expertise and because of their access to influential social and political actors, our experts are able to work with and consult policy-makers working in and on the region.
CARPO offers in-depth analyses of significant developments that help assessing current and future dynamics of respective country contexts. On the basis of these assessments realistic future scenarios are produced and tangible policy recommendations formulated.
CARPO also offers to explore prospects and potentials for entrepreneurial activities in the Orient. Our experts provide risk analyses, concepts for fact-finding missions and need assessments and, thereby, connect national and international entrepreneurs.
Our team provides context-specific expertise on the national, regional and international level on:
- power dynamics
- foreign policy goals and strategies
- security interests
- political trajectories and future scenarios
- public diplomacy
- diaspora politics
- informal politics
- security system reform
- social movements and societal politics
- identifications: religions and ideologies
- economy, economic development, and market analysis
- educational and academic landscapes
We are convinced that sustainable people-to-people relations are key to improving relations between Europe and the Orient. By generating exchange platforms for stakeholders to interact, gates for political, intercultural and inter-societal dialogue are opened. Citizen-oriented development – particularly in conflict-prone contexts – can only be fostered effectively by engaging societies and by enabling their participation in shaping the future of their countries.
CARPO offers to design exchange projects that connect influential actors such as policy-makers, academics and intellectuals, artists, religious figures, musicians or activists from different countries and regions in order to explore potential grounds for cooperation.
Our experienced project managers design, implement and post-process projects for
- policy-makers, ministries, and public authorities
- non-governmental organisations
- academics, research institutions, and universities
- journalists and public intellectuals
- entrepreneurs and business organisations
- syndicates and unions
- diaspora communities
- artists and (youth) activists
in the fields of
- track II diplomacy
- economic development and cooperation
- academic development and cooperation
- intercultural dialogue and interfaith dialogue
- political education
- arts, culture, and sports